We're Hiring a Joiner!
We are looking for a Joiner to join (no pun intended!) the close knit team at Wood Recyclability.
Check out the job description and if you’d like to apply, please send your CV to Brian Reid, General Manager of Wood Recyclability by 15th February 2021.
CLOISTERSEAT CROFT, PITMEDDEN, ABERDEENSHIRE
About Wood RecyclAbility
Social Enterprise Wood Recyclability Ltd. was set up in 1997 to provide practical work experience for people with additional support needs through working primarily with waste wood, however for the past 18 months plastic recycling has been added.
Over the last 21 years the organisation has grown steadily from 2 staff and 6 trainees in a small croft and outbuildings to 9 staff and up to 35 trainees in a purpose-built workshop, yard set in 5 acres of agricultural land.
Our trainees, who have a range of additional support needs, are involved in all aspects of the business. There are opportunities to work with hand and power tools, de-nail wood and construct various products as well as enjoy interaction with fellow workers, customers, staff and visitors.
Your role will encompass the supervision of both staff and trainees in all aspects of the site, with emphasis on safe operations at all times.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Assisting trainees to carry out tasks in relation to wood recycling, product manufacture and safe use of hand tools.
- Prioritising work schedules for yourself and trainees.
- Motivating and encouraging trainees to maintain and acquire new skills.
- Assessing trainees’ abilities to identify areas for development and further training.
- Ensuring and maintaining safe working practices, in both the workshop and site areas.
- Maintaining accurate training records and liaising with other staff members to continually improve training methods.
- Participating in discussions with trainees either individually or in groups to encourage their social and personal development.
- Assessing and monitoring situations within the workplace, taking necessary action to diffuse any potential conflict.
- Be an effective role model in all aspects of the workplace.
- Assisting the Workshop Manager to ensure company priorities for achievement are met.
- Deputising for the Workshop Manager when necessary.
- Carrying out and recording safety checks in respect of any equipment used in connection with your duties and to accurately complete all other paperwork.
- Ensuring safe operation of saws, planers, workshop machinery and maintenance of same.
- Monitoring and recording all Health and Safety incidents, accidents and near misses on site for yourself, all staff and trainees, followed by proper instruction on safe working practices as required.
- Meet, greet and assist visitors to the premises.
- Processing orders from customers, as required.
Skills and Competencies
- You hold a relevant joinery qualification or have basic woodworking skills. The ability to manufacture bespoke items and to read basic plans is required.
- You are an excellent communicator and able to break tasks into simple, easy to follow steps.
- You are able to encourage and motivate all trainees to reach their full potential.
- You have the respect of and value all the efforts made by the Supervisors and trainees.
- You have the ability to work on your own initiative and also as part of a team.
- You may from time to time, be expected to perform additional tasks should the business objectives of the organisation dictate and if required undertake training.
- An RTITB Accreditation Forklift Licence for rough terrain telescopic ABA Category J2 is preferred.
- You have some level of demonstrable IT skills.
- There is a requirement to work both inside and outwith the workshop.
- You will be required to wear Personal Protective Equipment in line with existing Health and Safety Policy and to adhere to all safety practices of a workshop and yard environment.
- You will strictly adhere to all UK Government COVID-19 Safety Guidelines implemented by Wood RecyclAbility at all times.